Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to wear a helmet?

You must wear a helmet when riding in Ontario and Minnesota. Helmets are required in Michigan for all riders under 21 and in Wisconsin for all riders under the age of 18.

For more information on helmet laws in:

Ontario, please click here

Michigan, please click here

Minnesota, please click here

Wisconsin, please click here

Should I book accommodations before leaving?

You are encouraged to book your accommodation in advance to make sure you can stay in your location of choice, especially during the busy summer months.

Visit our Plan your Trip guide, select your route and easily add accomodation options to your Route Plan so that you can call or book your accomodations online in advance of your trip. 

What currency should I bring?

We encourage you to bring both American and Canadian currencies/cash during your trip. Most areas will accept both, but in some locations (even close to the border) they may only accept American currency. 

What is the best map to bring?

We recommend that you Order A Free Ride Lake Superior Map.

Do I need to bring a passport?

US citizens aged 16 and older, entering Canada by air, land or water, must present one of the following documents: 

  • a passport or passport card,
  • an Enhanced Driver's License,
  • or a Trusted Traveler Program Card (SENTRI, NEXUS or FAST Card). 

US Travelers aged 15 and under require a birth certificate for land or sea and a passport for air travel.

Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. 

  • Canadian passport,
  • Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card,
  • NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

If you are a Canadian citizen crossing the border into the US, find out more information here.

Additional detailed information on Border Crossings can be found by clicking here